Tuesday, August 29, 2023

The Machine Stops Day 1

Big Idea: Ideology, utopia, and imagination

Nuance Academy: Gerund Phrase

After today I should be able to: summarize the background to E.M. Forrester's short story and identify a theme you want to track.

Reading: You should have two books read by October 1st.

Agenda:

  1. Gimkit Link
  2. Write 10 sentences that start with a gerund phrase.
    1. Start with a loose sentence.
      1. Mr. White carefully planned the stages of his essay, and then he rewrote it.
    2. Rewrite it starting with a gerund phrase.
      1. Looks like a participle but it is the subject of the sentence.
      2. Carefully planning the essay was the highlight of Mr. White's week.
        1. ...is my favorite...
        2. ...was...
        3. ...helped me...
        4. ...can be...
        5. ...taught me...
        6. ...requires...
    3. Here are some more examples. You can use these ideas, but change them to make your own sentence.
      1. Jogging in the morning is my favorite way to start the day.
      2. Practicing the piano daily helped improve my skills tremendously.
      3. Writing essays can be tedious work, but also intellectually stimulating.
      4. Swimming laps at the gym is great exercise and helps me relax after a long day.
      5. Baking cookies with my grandma is one of my favorite childhood memories.
      6. Playing tennis competitively taught me discipline and sportsmanship from a young age.
      7. Volunteering at the animal shelter on weekends fills me with joy.
      8. Studying for exams often requires pulling several all-nighters.
      9. Gardening is therapeutic for me and helps me connect with nature.
      10. Traveling the world opens one's eyes to different cultures and ways of life.
  3.  Today we will start the short story, "The Machine Stops." I will give an introductory lecture before we start reading the short story.

Homework:
  1. Work on your vocabulary list #2. It is due by Sunday at 9PM.
  2. Read your independent reading book.

No comments:

Post a Comment